Here at KIDS R KIDS, we utilize Emergent Curriculum throughout our work with the children. It is through the tenets of this type of curriculum that we plan our learning environments both indoor and outside as well, our invitations and provocations, develop our lesson plans, select our stories and songs, and determine the children's progress.
Goals of Emergent Curriculum
1. to inspire delight, curiosity, celebration and inquiry in the classroom.
2. to build intrinsic motivation and a long-term love of learning in children.
3. to help children craft an internal compass to guide them as a learner, rather than relying
on instruction and direction from others.
4. to inspire children to be authors, inventors, illustrators, designers, dancers, singers,
actors, etc. and to celebrate their unique talents and abilities.
5. to encourage consistent self-reflection and professional growth among teachers, so they
may always improve the quality of classroom experience.
6. to maintain a teaching staff well-versed in the fundamentals of how and what children
learn, so they can support and guide learning as it emerges naturally inside the school, in
the natural world, and in our community as a whole.
7. to allow the natural pace of individual and group learning to emerge, and not be guided
exclusively by the clock.
8. to create cooperation, partnership, resource-sharing and amiability between staff,
students, parents and the community.
9. to give children an organized environment in which to use all of their senses and
faculties to learn.
10. to recognize that critical learning takes place during conflict, negotiation, brainstorming
11. to provide adequate outside time daily.
12. to support the varied learning styles (visual, auditory, sensory, verbal, etc.) in ways that
are also aware of gender differences.
13. to carry out assessment in the form of documentation of learning.
14. to honor and welcome ALL children into our learning community.
15. to practice supportive social learning rather than punishment.